Thursday, December 6, 2012

Green Chile Cheese Orzo

Since I have been studying nearly nonstop for the last few days, I realize that I have been slacking in, not only my cooking, but also blogging.  I promise things will be back to normal shortly.  Please bear with me.  In the meantime, I have a quick recipe for you - it can be ready in under 15 minutes.  Hence, the reason I chose it!

I made Guacamole Chicken  Burgers tonight, and needed a southwest side to go along with it.  I would have preferred rice, but my husband doesn't care for it.  He's not picky, on the whole, so I try to limit when I fix rice.  Instead, I use orzo quite frequently in its place, and he's fine with that because it's pasta.  Eh, whatever works, right?

Here's your Cast of Characters:


4 Cups hot water
2 Teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 Lb. orzo
1 - 7 Oz. can chopped green chiles
1 Cup shredded colby & monterey jack cheese
1/4 Cup chicken broth
1/2 Cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 Teaspoon, each, Lawry's seasoning salt, Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb blend, McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb blend
1/4 Teaspoon pepper
1/2 Teaspoon cumin
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro, or cilantro in the tube
1 Tablespoon lime juice

Boil water with the chicken bouillon granules.  Cook orzo according to package directions, about 9 minutes.

Drain, and add the remaining ingredients.


Stir well, and continue to cook on medium-low heat until cheese is melted and orzo is heated through.


The pepper works with the cumin and cilantro to give it a nice little bite. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment