Friday, November 16, 2012

Guacamole Chicken Burgers

It's Friday night, and you know what that means - Friday Family Movie Night in the Soupir house.  So what was on the plate tonight?  Well, my motto on Friday nights is this:  KISS - Keep It Simple, Sunshine!  When we get to the end of a long work week, all we want to do is get the weekend started as soon as possible.  Supper is whatever is quick, so we can sit down together, relax and watch the movie of the night.

My daughter was already thinking of tonight's meal back on Tuesday night.  We were eating supper and she asked if we could have chicken burgers for Friday night's meal.  She told me she had been craving them.  Then my son piped up and said that they are his favorite burgers so he was all for it.  To tell you the truth, I had been thinking about chicken burgers anyway, so it was settled.

Now, when we say "chicken burgers", what we mean is Guacamole Chicken Burgers.  This is the original burger that I made with ground chicken, and it's still our favorite.  So all we have to say is "chicken burgers" and we know exactly what kind of burger it's going to be.  Any other type, and I specify:  Buffalo Chicken Burgers, Chicken Parmesan Burgers or Pesto Chicken Burgers.  And, what's best about these moist little patties?  They are quick and they couldn't be simpler!  Perfect for our Friday night!

The only thing I changed up was the movie part of the night.  I didn't feel like running to Blockbuster so I decided we could just watch one of our hundred or so movies.  But, when I got home, we realized there was a marathon of the family's new favorite show - Duck Dynasty on A&E.  We scrapped the movie for the marathon.  Hey, don't judge me for watching this show.  Normally, I hate reality tv shows, and ones with a bunch of redneck idiots really don't appeal to me.  However, these guys are NOT idiots!  Yes, they are rednecks, and proud of it, but if you listen to them, they are not uneducated.  In one episode the CEO is talking about the Geneva Convention and the Seven Circles of Hell.  I'm sorry, but I don't know too many idiots that know what the Geneva Convention is, or can reference Dante's Inferno.  Plus, the brother, Jase, reminds me of my own brother, Austin.  The show cracks me up.  Another redeeming quality is the commitment to family and faith that all of them have.  If you haven't watched it yet, give it a try before deciding it's stupid.

On to the recipe.  Here's your Cast of Characters.


2 Lbs. ground chicken
2 Packages dry guacamole mix (I use one mild and one extra spicy, but you go with what you like.)
1 Tablespoon cilantro (I used my handy-dandy tube of cilantro but you can use freshly chopped)
1 Teaspoon black pepper (If you want more heat, swap some of the black pepper for cayenne)
Cheese slices

Mix all ingredients well.



Form patties and fry in a nonstick skillet on medium heat.


It is really important to have a nonstick skillet because the ground chicken sticks very easily!
Let them cook for about 7 or 8 minutes before flipping them over.  Again, they are really sticky so they need to be turning white before you flip them over, just look at the bottom edges of the patties above.


Cook on the other side for another 7 or 8 minutes, until cooked through.


Turn to low, and top with cheese slices.


Bailey and I like out of the ordinary cheeses, so we chose a provolone/mozzarella blend, while Tanner and Chris like the very ordinary American cheese slices.  Use your favorite.  For a little added heat, use pepper jack.


See how thick the burger is?  That's another key, don't flatten the patties.  Just let them cook, as is.

Top with a little chipotle mayo and you are looking at perfection!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment