Thursday, November 8, 2012

Quick Lemon Basil Chicken

As much as I love cooking, and I do love cooking, there are days when I just don't feel like doing much in the kitchen.  Days when work started off bad, and never got better, or when a headache has me sidelined and I can't think of anything new and interesting.  Yeah, I had one of those days today, on both counts.  When that happens, I slip into autopilot mode.  I start running through dishes that take very little thought and preparation.  Those things that I could make in my sleep.  No, they're not some of my most inventive recipes, but everyone needs a good base of quick and easy recipes at their fingertips for those nights when you are running to PTA meetings, children's sporting events or you're late leaving work and your favorite tv show will be coming on in a few minutes.  Every night can't be Roasted Artichoke Pesto, and that's okay.  It doesn't mean we compromise flavor, we just take some shortcuts.

This recipe is a winter modification of one of my favorite summer combinations:  lemon and basil.  When warm weather hits, there is nothing more refreshing than a pasta made with fresh lemon juice, and basil from the garden.  I eat it as often as I can, while everything is fresh, then I spend the cold months pining for those flavors.  That's one of the reasons I came up with my Quick Lemon Basil Chicken.  With just a few ingredients, and a marginal amount of time, I can have a meal that soothes my summertime cravings, if only for a little while.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


4-5 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Cup chicken broth
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (not pictured)
Lawry's season salt
Pepper
Basil
Lemon pepper

Heat olive oil on medium-low heat in a large non-stick skillet.  Add chicken breasts, and sprinkle generously with all the seasonings.


Cover, turn heat to medium, and cook for 15 minutes, turning once.  Remove cover, and add chicken broth, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon, each, Lawry's and basil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper to the pan.  Stir to mix all around. 


Continue cooking, uncovered, for another 10-15 minutes, until chicken is done and most of the liquid has reduced significantly.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment