Saturday, November 10, 2012

Garlic Parsley Potatoes

WARNING - These potatoes are really not good for you!  Not one teeny-tiny bit.  But, I am not going to apologize for that.  Nope.  Every now and then you have to let loose, and enjoy something a little less than healthy.  Okay, a lot less than healthy - they are, after all, drenched in butter.  That's what makes them so good!  And, before you get all bent out of shape, I'm not telling you to eat unhealthy all the time.  Quite the opposite.  Over the last few years, particularly the last one, I have tried to prepare our meals in a healthier fashion.  Things like using more olive oil and less butter, not using cream or half and half nearly as much but using low-fat Greek yogurt to make things creamy and using whole grain pasta whenever I can, just to name a few.  However, while eating healthy and/or dieting,  if you deprive yourself of everything good, you are setting yourself up for failure.  You have to allow yourself a dessert now and then, or take-out from your favorite fast food place.  If you don't, then you'll start obsessing and eventually fall completely off the healthy-eating wagon.  And, no one wants that.  The key is moderation.  Just keep things in proper portions, and you can still have these magnificent butter-doused potatoes.

Speaking of these potatoes, I have been making them for almost 20 years.  Holy cow, that's a long time!  I first found them when I lived in Florida and one of my favorite places to eat was Kenny Rogers Roasters.  Their fire-roasted chicken is to die for but these poatoes, which are no longer on the menu, well, they are just a little slice of heaven.  One of my friends asked if I could figure out how to make them at home.  Challenge accepted - of course I could do this.  Really, it wasn't that hard.  There aren't that many ingredients, but it was finding the right balance. Nonetheless, she thought I was amazing when I first made them.  Who was I to disillusion her?  All that mattered was that we could have these buttery, garlicky potatoes whenever we wanted.  Now I'm going to share them with you.  You're welcome!

Here's your Cast of Characters.


8-10 Medium red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and eyes removed
1 Stick of unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 Teaspoons Lawry's season salt
1 Teaspoon, each, pepper and McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb (or Garlic Powder)
2 Teaspoons parsley

Cut potatoes into bite-size chunks.


Cover with water, bring to a boil, and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until just tender when pricked with a fork.

When the potatoes are almost done, melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.  Add garlic and all the seasonings. 



Continue cooking for for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.


When potatoes are done, drain and place in a large bowl.  Add garlic butter.


Stir very gently to cover all potatoes evenly.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment