Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Butternut Puff


At the risk of boring you, I have another squash dish to share with you.  I’m sorry, but I had no choice.  The butternut squash was calling to me from the freezer.  Taunting me, actually, ever since I used half of it for the Butternut Squash Gorgonzola Cream Sauce.  It has tormented me – just knowing it was there.  I tried to hold off as long as I could.  For your sake, not mine.  I didn’t want you to get burned out on squash recipes.  I certainly don’t want to be repetitive, but I do so love squash!  And, today’s offering puts a different spin on it.  I didn’t roast it, or make a sauce from it.  I mixed it with an egg and made a nice little puffy, soufflé-type side with it.  Aren’t you a little bit interested now?  Good!  Then here’s what I’m going to do – give you yet another reason to love squash as I do!
Here’s your Cast of Characters.
 
1 1/2 Cup butternut squash, cooked
1/2 Cup fat-free half and half
1/2 Cup chicken broth
1 Egg, beaten
2 Teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 Cup green onions, chopped
1 1/2 Teaspoons dried sage, crushed
1 Teaspoon Lawry's seasoning salt
1/2 Teaspoon pepper
1 Teaspoon parsley
1 Teaspoon McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb seasoning
1/2 Teaspoon McCormick Tuscan seasoning
1/2 Cup Gorgonzola, plus a little extra for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 425.  Spray a small casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, take a fork and mash squash to get out as many lumps as possible.


Add half and half and cream.  Stir to combine.  Not all of the liquid is going to incorporate, but that's okay.  It will be absorbed as it cooks.


Add remaining ingredients except egg and gorgonzola.  Mix well.



Here's where I did a little taste check with my seasonings, before putting the raw egg in.  If anything needs adjusting, now is a good time to do it.  I didn't add anything, but once you are okay with it, add egg and 1/2 cup gorgonzola.


Stir very well to get egg completely combined.


Sprinkle a little extra gorgonzola over the top.


Cover and bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, or until center is set and no longer jiggles.


Serve as a side dish, or use it like I did for a meatless main course.


I like the above picture because you can see all of the major components, the orangey-yellow of the squash, the egg, the green onions and gorgonzola.  Yum!


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment