Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Oven-Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Quick poll:  Who likes brussel sprouts?  Raise your hands high so I can see them.  What?  That's not very many of you!  Okay, be honest, how many have actually tried brussel sprouts?  That's what I thought.  Well, you are in luck!  If ever there was a recipe to get you to try brussel sprouts, this is it!  Remember our motto?  That's right, you were paying attention.  "Everything tastes better roasted!"

When I was growing up, my Grandma Roberts made brussel sprouts a few times.  I loved my grandma's cooking but not her brussel sprouts.  All she did was boil them, toss them with a little butter and season with salt and pepper.  That's it.  Mushy and smelly.  Until the last 5 years, I actually thought I hated them.  Then I heard about oven-roasting them in a cast-iron skillet, ensuring they are crispy on the outside, but tender and flavorful on the inside.  You know how I feel about roasting vegetables so I was all in! 

After tasting them the first time, fixed this way, one thought kept running through my head, "How could I ever think I didn't like these little guys?"  The cast iron skillet really is the key to this recipe.  It gets that outer layer so nice and brown, with a bit of crunch, but when you bite into them, the inside is soft and all kinds of wonderful!  Another big tip is salt.  You add a bunch of salt, and when you think you've put in enough, add a little more.  Then it's perfect.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


Cast iron skillet
2 Bags of frozen brussel sprouts
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Teaspoon Lawry's season salt
1 Teaspoon kosher salt
1 Teaspoon lemon pepper
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Teaspoon McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb

Preheat oven to 425.  Microwave both bags of brussel sprouts for 2 minutes.  Place in a medium mixing bowl with remaining ingredients.  Stir well to combine and coat sprouts completely.


Spread into a single layer in the cast iron skillet.


Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring  every so often.  This is what they should look like about halfway through.


When they are done, they'll get that deep brown, almost black, outside.  Don't worry, they're not burnt - that's when they're good!


Don't they look delightful?  They taste delightful!  Enjoy!

This isn't the greatest picture, but I wanted you to see how soft they are in the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment