Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My Husband's Favorite Spaghetti Squash

A couple of weeks ago I made spaghetti squash the way I love it, and it was GOOD!  Yet, after supper, my husband looked at me and said, "I still like it with Italian sausage and spaghetti sauce the best."  Then he proceeded to look at me with pitiful eyes.  Well, not really, it was more the tone of his voice, as if I never fix anything the way he likes it.  But, he knows how to play it.  If he actually asks for a specific dish, he knows I'll make it for him.  There are very few exceptions.  I absolutely do NOT cook liver!  Almost anything else, he'll get.  One, he doesn't ask for a lot, and two, he works hard outside every day so he deserves it.  That may seem somewhat old-fashioned.  Maybe it is, but I love to cook, and I love that it makes my husband happy.  It's really that simple. 

I guess it started when I was a kid.  My dad loves to tell the story of when I was about 10, and I was tired of his cooking so I said, "Daddy, I think I can cook."  He says that he gladly turned over the kitchen to me after that.  From that point on, I cooked for him, my 2 older brothers and younger sister.  I always made things that I knew my dad liked.  I even baked for him:  snickerdoodles and homemade cream puffs.  It was the same principle, my dad worked hard all day and he deserved to come home to a good meal.

One thing I can say, though, is that all of them, my husband, dad and brothers, are all very thankful and appreciative of that home-cooked meal or dessert, and that makes it all worthwhile.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


1 Lb. Italian sausage
1 Large spaghetti squash
1 Jar spaghetti sauce (not pictured because I made my own)
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Teaspoons minced garlic
1 Teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Cup Italian blend or mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 425.  Spray a large casserole or cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.  Fill a large pot half full of water and cook squash for 20 - 30 minutes, until cooked thoroughly and tender when poked with a knife. 

Meanwhile, cook Italian sausage, breaking it up.  When it's done, add spaghetti sauce.  Season, as desired.  Keep it warm.

When squash is done, cut in half and scrape seeds out.



Use a spoon to separate the skin from the flesh. 


Once you have the flesh out, use 2 forks to separate the strands, like you are pulling pork.



Place squash in your prepared pan.  Add butter, garlic, chicken bouillon and Parmesan cheese.


Stir well to combine and melt butter.


Pour sauce over squash, spreading evenly.


Sprinkle cheese over the top.


Bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is golden.


Doesn't that look beautiful?!


It tasted wonderful, too!  The garlicky squash was a perfect match for the Italian sausage marinara.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment