Monday, December 3, 2012

Braised Baby Bok Choy

This post is going to be on the short and sweet side.  I am studying for a huge life and health insurance license exam and can't take too much time off.  It's very exciting stuff, but even so, I would still rather be cooking or writing about cooking or watching paint dry or getting a root canal.  Pretty much anything but studying this highly entertaining subject matter.  Can you hear the sarcasm?  That's my official second language.  It's too bad that I don't have to take a test on that.  I would ace it!

Anyway, last week I found myself in one of my favorite places, the produce section of the grocery store.  In typical fashion, I wandered around for entirely too long, but managed to come home with some new finds.  Delicata squash, Jersey sweet potatoes and baby bok choy!  I like grown up bok choy well enough, but was super excited to try the baby version.  It was just so stinking cute!

This recipe was very quick and simple, which I loved!  The bok choy didn't need a lot of ingredients - it tastes good all on its own, and this recipe lets its flavor shine through.  So, let's get to it!

Here's your Cast of Characters.


(Look at those baby bok choy!  Aren't they cute?  Don't you just want to squeeze their chubby little cheeks?!)

1 Bunch of baby bok choy, washed and dried
2 Tablespoons, each, unsalted butter and olive oil
1 Teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 Cup chicken broth
Lawry's season salt
Freshly ground pepper

Heat butter and oil in large skillet on medium heat until butter has melted.  Place bok choy in pan and turn heat to medium high.  Sprinkle with Lawry's and pepper.


Sear on both sides, sprinkling the other side lightly with Lawry's and pepper


Add garlic and broth. 



Cover and steam for about 10 minutes until bok choy are tender and most of the liquid has reduced.

Place on a serving platter and pour remaining sauce over the bok choy.



Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment