Thursday, December 13, 2012

Lemon Broccoli Couscous

Ummmm, I have a question.  Can anyone tell me how it's possible that we are less than 2 weeks away from Christmas?  This is simply not possible!  I'm pretty sure that, just yesterday, it was Halloween.  So, if that's the case, we can't be rushing headlong at Christmas.  Now that I think about it, I guess I vaguely remember Thanksgiving, but I was getting ready to change jobs so my mind was elsewhere.  Then, there was that whole being stuck in a cave on a deserted island while I studied until my eyes almost bugged out.  That certainly made the time fly by.  So now I'm wondering how I'm going to get my shopping done, and things shipped to my family in Missouri before the big day.  Not to mention that it's anybody's guess whether I'll get holiday cards done.  I haven't even taken a picture of the kids to put on there yet.  Then, there's candy-making that I am fairly certain is not going to happen.  Oh, good Lord, I could let myself go completely mad thinking about all the things I don't have time to get finished!  Better just focus on cooking, then.

Earlier in the day, I was talking to a co-worker and told her that I thought I was going to make roasted sweet potato medallions.  I had it all worked out in my head, and was really looking forward to it.  There was one little flaw in this plan.  I needed to go to the store for the sweet potatoes.  No problem, right?  It's only a few blocks away, after all.  Well, by the time I left work, it was dark and almost six o'clock.  I had no desire to go to the grocery store even though I very badly wanted those sweet potatoes.  The urge to get home won out, and I was left with the dilemma of what to fix in their place.  I ran through a number of possibilities and finally landed on Lemon Broccoli Couscous.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


1 1/2 Cups water
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
2 Tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. Meyer Lemon Oil, or 1 Tbsp, each, olive oil and lemon zest
1 Bag frozen broccoli florets
1 1/2 Cups couscous
1 1/2 Tsp. Lawry's season salt
1 Tsp. McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb blend
1/2 Tsp. Lemon pepper
1/4 Tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese

In a medium pot, bring water, butter, garlic, lemon oil and broccoli to a boil.


Cook for 4 minutes on medium heat.  Add remaining ingredients, except lemon juice and Parmesan cheese.


Stir well to combine, and get all of the couscous wet.


Cover, and turn to low.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Add lemon juice and Parmesan cheese.  Stir well, as you fluff the couscous.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment