Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Party Parmesan Broccoli Slaw

Welcome back!  I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.  I certainly did.  I received some truly awesome gifts, but what made it special was the time spent with our family.  My in-laws house was packed to the gills with my husband's siblings, their spouses and children.  Utter chaos!  But, it wouldn't be a family gathering if it were any other way, nor would we want it any differently. 

We packed a lot into our weekend and holiday.  Saturday, my husband and I managed to get away, for most of the day, to finish our Christmas shopping and have a nice meal together.  That doesn't happen very often, where it's just the two of us, so we thoroughly enjoyed it!  Saturday night was spent with the family, amidst much laughter and merrymaking.  Okay, a little alcohol might have been involved.  Only a teeny-tiny amount.

Sunday we went to the 96th birthday party of my husband's grandma.  We are so blessed to still have her with us!  It was a nice gathering with lots of delicious food.  That's where this recipe came from.  I wanted something different to take to the potluck, and this evolved in my head. 

Monday night had Santa making an appearance at my in-laws, much to the excitement of all the kids.  They ran from room to room, peeking out the windows, trying to catch glimpses of him before he dropped off a few of their presents.  It was one of the best things of the night - seeing the excitement on their faces.  After they opened their presents, we exchanged gifts with everyone else.  I can only say that I feel very fortunate, not only for the things I was given, but for the time with our family.  My husband's uncle has had a major health scare and we are all very thankful for every moment we have together.  We were a very close family before but it has made us very aware to not take anyone, or thing, for granted.

Christmas morning we watched our children open their gifts from us, and Santa.  They were giddy, which pleased us to no end.  After they had time to spend with their presents, we were back at my in-laws for a magnificent feast of turkey, stuffing and all the trimmings.  It.........was.........heavenly!

I suppose, we should really get down to business with the recipe.  Now, mind you, we had a lot of people at the birthday party, so this is a good size amount of slaw.  You could easily scale it down by cutting it in half, or even quarter it.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


4 Bags of broccoli slaw
1 Yellow or orange sweet bell pepper
1/2 Medium onion

Dressing:
3 Cups mayo (not Miracle Whip)
1 Cup, each, fat-free half and half and light sour cream
1/3 Cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 Cup, each, sugar and Parmesan cheese
1 Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 Teaspoon, each, Lawry's season salt, McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb blend and Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb blend

In a large bowl, dump the broccoli slaw in.  Finely dice the pepper and onion, and add to the slaw.


In a medium mixing bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients.


I know you know how to grate cheese, but I had to take this opportunity to show you one of the nifty Christmas presents a friend gave me.  I LOVE kitchen gadgets!  Okay, I'm done with my little diversion.

Next, add the dressing to the slaw mixture.


Stir to combine well.  With this amount of slaw, it takes a lot of mixing.  Just when you think every piece is coated, you add another turn and find dry parts.  Keep stirring, my friends!


Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving.


This can be made a few hours early, but no more.  Even a day early will have the slaw starting to lose its flavor and crispness.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment