Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Tips and Treats

Hee, hee, hee!  Wasn't that a clever little play on words?  I was particularly pleased with myself on that one.  Probably too much so, but it really takes very little to amuse me.

Anyway, since it's Halloween and I spent the evening taking my evil queen and the grim reaper out trick or treating, I did not make anything for supper.  Our fridge is stocked full of tasty leftovers - Italian meatloaf, cream of double onion soup, etc., so that's what we had as a quick meal before we went out.  I assume many of you will be out as well, so I thought I would keep this fairly short and simple tonight.  I'm going to throw a couple of tips at you and one treat.  The tips are some new finds of mine, but the treat is one that I have loved for a long time, I had just forgotten it, I guess.

Here's the first tip:



Please take note of these whole grain corn taco shells because they are AMAZING!  Last month when I was doing our huge grocery shopping trip I came across these.  I think they are fairly new, as I have never noticed them before.  Saturday night I made tacos for supper and pulled these out.  They are a little larger, but not huge by any means.  That's not what is so great about them.  They are a thinner taco shell, unlike your normal corn shells.  These are more like the homemade chips you get at a good Mexican restaurant.  Very light and crispy.  Plus, being whole grain, they are better for you.  If you get a chance, definitely give these shells a try.

Tip number 2:


I just found this yesterday.  I am normally not a huge fan of premade soups, and particularly Campbell's, as they have typically been very one-dimensional in taste.  If I am going to eat a canned soup I'll go with Progresso almost every time, but these bags caught my eye as I was rushing down the aisle.  They, literally, stopped me in my tracks.  There are 6 different flavors, in brightly colored bags, and awesome flavors, like the Coconut Curry or Creamy Red Pepper with Smoked Gouda.  Even though I already had lunch back at work, and didn't need to buy anything, I had to give this a go.  I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.  Not your normal Campbell's soup, that's for sure.
When I first opened the package, it was very aromatic with a strong coconut smell.  Upon first taste, I was expecting to be hit full force with an overpowering coconut flavor but it's actually the green curry that you get at the forefront.  Followed by the taste of real coconut, not imitation.  That's huge.  I hate imitation coconut flavor!  HATE IT!  Also, there was a depth to this soup that I wasn't expecting, and it even brings a tiny bit of heat from the curry after several spoonfuls.  It's chocked full of carrots, water chestnuts, bok choy, shitake mushroom slivers with hints of lime and lemongrass.  If you want a quick and easy meal, this is a good one for the money.  It was only $2.48 at Walmart.  Give it a whirl.

Finally, your treat:



Ricotta cheese!  For too long this little gem has been relegated to simply being the filling in lasagna or stuffed shells, or as the sweet stuffing in cannolis (Ah, cannolis - little gifts from heaven!), which is too bad, really.  It has so much more to offer.  It's great as breakfast or a snack with a teeny bit of sugar or sweetener, some cinnamon and dried fruit, like cherries and cranberries, and nuts.  Or with fresh fruit, like blueberries, strawberries, and even Mandarin oranges.  And, there are so many health benefits, as well.  It's high in calcium and protein, and omega fatty acids (the good fat).  Half a cup for breakfast fills you up as well as oatmeal, and sticks with you throughout the morning.  I get the part-skim ricotta, and it is wonderful.  If you haven't given it a try, please rush right out to your grocery store and pick some up!  You can thank me for it later.

Well, that's it for tonight.  Hope the rest of your Halloween is a good one, and safe.  As for the tips and treats, Enjoy!

P.S.

Here is a picture of my Evil Queen & Grim Reaper

2 comments:

  1. I was pleasantly surprised by the new Campbell's line. Very complex flavors- so unlike your typical red-and-white-canned, tastes-like-you-dumped-the-salt-shaker-in Campbell's Soups.
    Also, one of my favorite breakfasts (or, bedtime snacks) is ricotta with blueberries and a drizzle of raw honey, sprinkled with cinnamon.
    Great tips! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more about the new Campbell's line, or ricotta being a favorite breakfast or snack.

      Delete