Friday, October 26, 2012

Breakfast Biscuit Surprises

Weekends around my house are filled with all kinds of fun things like cleaning, laundry, running errands, grocery shopping and sometimes to sporting events that my kids are involved in (okay, the last one is fun - just checking to see if you were paying attention).  It's usually 48 hours of jam-packed chaos.  For that reason, I try to have some quick and easy breakfast ideas on hand, particularly for Sundays.

I always plan a big meal for Sunday dinner, in keeping with the tradition that my Grandma Souders started when I was a kid (actually, it's lunch, but it was always called Sunday dinner).  It's our biggest meal of the week.  Things like barbecued ribs, lasagna, meatloaf or roast beef are the frequent stars on my table because I have the time to prepare them.  That means I start cooking almost right away in the morning.  If that's the case, the last thing I want is a big, involved breakfast.

I confess, we often keep Pillsbury canned cinnamon rolls on hand, just for something that doesn't take any time or fuss.  Other times, I will do something simple like French toast.  Or, if I'm really lucky, my daughter will volunteer to make muffins.  She makes a mean lemon poppyseed!  Then, there are times, like last week, where I just wing it.  Sometimes, those turn out to be the best breakfasts, when there's little or no planning involved.

That's how this recipe came about.  We were planning to go to my in-laws for a nice family dinner, so breakfast didn't need to be a big deal. We just needed something small, and fast.  This fit the bill.

So, if you're looking for a quick and easy breakfast, this is the ticket!  Here's your Cast of Characters.


12 Biscuits, if they are the frozen variety, let them thaw out
6 Breakfast sausage links
3 Sticks of cheddar/mozzarella cheese, or 12 cubes of your favorite cheese (Get wild & crazy, try pepper jack!)

Preheat oven to 400.  Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.

Microwave the links for about a minute, so they are thawed out and slightly warm.  Cut each one in half, and each cheese stick (if that's what you are using) into 4 pieces.



Take a biscuit and use your fingers to flatten it out a little.  Place one piece of sausage & cheese into the center.


Fold the biscuit over, and smoosh it together.


Next, pat and round it, like you are making a snowball.  Place into the muffin cup, rounded side up.


Sprinkle each one lightly with Lawry's season salt and pepper.


Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown.


Serve with a little pat of butter on each one.



Enjoy!


*Note:  If you want to be more adventurous, warm up some maple syrup and drizzle over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment