Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Easy-Peasy Tilapia

Have you ever had one of those days where you just can't decide what to make for dinner?  That was me tonight.  To be perfectly honest, it's not like I ever have a plan in advance.  I've tried making up weekly menus but I just can't do it.  I never know what I'm going to be in the mood for until that night.  But, usually, I start thinking of something towards the end of the workday, and I figure it out as I drive home.  Not tonight, though.  I was tired, and nothing sounded good.  I HATE when that happens!

In my head, I was running through what I have in my freezer, fridge and pantry.  The only thing that kept coming to mind was my one, remaining acorn squash.  I knew I wanted to use that, but couldn't decide what to go with it.  About halfway home, I decided on some homemade mac and cheese done my way.  Now what for the main course? 

Finally, when I was 2 miles from my house, I settled on chicken breasts.  I wasn't quite sure how I was going to prepare them, but I thought I would just play it by ear.  Maybe I would come up with a glaze for them.  Yeah, that's what I'll do - a glaze.  Maybe some honey, orange marmalade and sriracha.  That could work.

I pulled into my garage, having decided on Glazed Chicken, Italian Cheese Penne and Peas and Acorn Squash Patties.  After chasing about 5 kittens from my garage (they are the cutest, tubbiest, little things but I don't want them in my garage), I made it into the house and started pulling things from the pantry.  Then, I went to the freezer for the chicken breasts, but what should I see right when I opened the lid?  Tilapia fillets.  Hey, I haven't fixed tilapia in ages!  We actually haven't had fish in a month or two - not since we had a couple of weekends of good fishing, pulling out some nice walleye.  Fish would be good!  Fish would be simple!  Simple is good!  That was all the convincing I needed.  I called an audible, and decided on fish instead of chicken.

I quickly decided that the glaze wouldn't be nearly as good on tilapia as it would chicken, so how should I prepare it?  SIMPLE, my mind screamed!  Remember, we are keeping this simple!  Right. 

That's how tonight's recipe came about.  You can't get much simpler than this, and it's ready in under half an hour.  Perfect!  Here's your Cast of Characters.


4 Tilapia fillets, or any similar white fish like cod
4 Tablespoons mayo
About 1/3 Cup Parmesan cheese
Lawry's, pepper, McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb, Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb

Preheat oven to 375.  Line a cookie sheet with foil.  Place fillets in a single layer on sheet.


Place 1 tablespoon mayo on each fillet.


Smear it all around.


Sprinkle with a generous amount of Parmesan cheese.


Season each with Lawry's (go easy on that since the Parmesan cheese has plenty of salt), pepper, garlic & herb and onion & herb.



Bake for 15 minutes, until fish is opaque and the topping is browned.


Plate, and Enjoy!


*Note:  For a different twist, use Kraft Chipotle mayo, shredded colby jack cheese, and a Mexican seasoning blend.  When you serve it, squeeze a little lime juice over the fillets.  This way would be good in fish tacos, as well.  Just pull it apart, and serve in tortilla with spicy slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment