Monday, October 22, 2012

Roasted..........?

Okay, I'm sorry I had to lure you here under such mysterious circumstances, but I was afraid if I told you, outright, you might be inclined to dismiss the post out of hand.  Let's set the mood with theme music, to start.  Doo da dooo, doo da dooo.  That's the music for Mission Impossible,  in case you couldn't tell.

This recipe is one of those that could change the minds of people who already like this vegetable, as well as those that don't, or simply think they don't like it.  Well, that's kind of a convoluted statement, so what do I mean by it?  It's really not that difficult to understand.  For the people who already like this vegetable, it will be an easy sell.  It takes something that we already think is pretty tasty and makes it better just by roasting it.  We've already had that discussion about how roasting makes everything better, so I want spend a lot of time on that concept.  I will say that, by roasting this veggie, it mellows the flavor, softens it, if you will, and makes it almost unrecognizable from its original form.  That's where the people who don't like, or think they don't like it, come in. 

One of the biggest complaints about this vegetable is that it has a somewhat unpleasant smell while cooking.  I don't mind the smell, but I already like the veggie, so I may not be completely unbiased.  Some people can't get past the smell, and won't even try it.  That is such a shame because they don't know what they are missing.  One of the beautiful things about this recipe is that it completely eliminates that unpleasant smell, and replaces it with a wonderfully aromatic roasted one.  And, for those who have tasted this vegetable, but didn't care for it, this recipe just might change your mind.  All I can say is that it's not the same taste as you get when boiling it.  In fact, it couldn't be further from that taste.  My only hope is that you will trust your dear friend, The Unabashed Kitchen Wench, and will give it a second chance to redeem itself.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

So, have you figured out what the vegetable is?  I gave you enough hints, I would be surprised if you haven't guessed that I am talking about cabbage.  Yes, Roasted Cabbage.  It is delicious!  So much so, that I sometimes have a hard time sharing it with the rest of my family.  Crazy?  Well, maybe, but not on this.  In the paraphrased words of a commercial from my childhood, "Try it.  You'll like it."  (Bonus points if you tell me in the comments what commercial that was from!)

Here's your Cast of Characters




1 Head of green or red cabbage
Olive oil
2 Teaspoons peppercorns, crushed
2 Teaspoons Lawry's season salt
1 Teaspoon, each, Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb and McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb
1/2 Teaspoon celery salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Line 2 cookie sheets with foil.  Crush the peppercorns, roughly.  Don't go too fine with it, you want little pops of pepper flavor.  Next, mix the peppercorns with the rest of the seasonings and set aside.



Now, take the outer layers off the cabbage, and slice into 1/2 - 3/4 inch rings.


Once you get to the hard core, turn to the sides and chop into wedges.  Place on cookie sheets in a single layer.


Drizzle a little oil on each slice and wedge.


Use your fingers to spread the oil all over the cabbage slices, and mix around the wedges, until all are coated.




Sprinkle each generously with seasoning. 




Place in oven, on top rack, for 45 minutes to an hour, until the tops get all golden brownish.



And, the bottoms look like this.


Doesn't it look yummy?  Are you thinking about trying it yet?  Okay, let me throw 2 more at you.


 Seriously, can you honestly tell me that doesn't look beautiful?


Served with San Francisco Chops and Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes.

Do yourself a favor and give it a try. 

Enjoy!

*Note:  Another variation is to use some of my Standard Seasoning Mix.  That's usually what I do, but I wanted something a little different this time around.  I like the celery salt added in.

4 comments:

  1. I must confess, I am not a Cooke cabbage fan. It really is the smell that ruins it for me every time. Thi recipe, however, may make me a convert. I need to try this, especially now that we are back into comfort food season. Might make it on the menu for this weekend's pheasant hunt! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all I can ask, is that you give it a try. I wouldn't lie to you - the smell is not the same one that you get when boiled or steamed. Soooo much better!

      Delete
  2. I made the roasted cabbage last night for our post-hunt feast. It was WONDERFUL!! Everyone loved it. I served it with Italian stuffed meatloaves (which were spectacular!) and roasted garlic smashed potatoes. I would like to have left the cabbage in a little longer - not as much caramelization as I wanted, but the meatloaves were done and the hunters were HUNGRY! Great method. I changed up the seasonings just a bit: Garlic and Tuscan herb infused olive oils, fennel seed, garlic powder and freshly cracked salt & pepper. Next time I might add a little heat. The sweetness that the cabbage gets would be awesome with some heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you tried it and liked it! Thanks for coming back and sharing your "success" story!

      Delete