Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tuesday Cooking Tip

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!  I'm sorry, but I grew up in the eighties.  What can I say?

But, really, I am very excited about a weekend purchase of mine - a bag of Meyer lemons!  In case you aren't familiar with them, let me tell you a little about Meyer lemons, courtesy of Wikipedia:

"The Meyer lemon, is a citrus fruit native to China thought to be a cross between a true lemon and either a mandarin or common orange."

The skins are thinner, and the zest is even more potent than normal lemons, but sweeter, as is the juice.  Oh, and did I mention the fragrance?  1000 times better than regular lemons!  Everything about them is absolutely delightful.  I used one to make a lemon vinaigrette a couple of nights ago.  It was so bright and refreshing!  I think that may be Friday night's recipe.  I used the juice and zest of another to mix with a little honey and mascarpone to spread on a bagel.

Here's the tip:  Get your hands on a bag of these wonderful little guys!  (But be quick, they are only available from January to April or May.)  Try them in any regular lemon recipe.  I guarantee you will be able to tell the difference.  And, if you can't decide what to use them for, simple google "Meyer lemon."  There is an abundance of recipes out there. 


Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I also recently purchased some Meyer lemons and made a beautiful lemon bar out of them! I love that citrus is in season this time of year. It brings such brightness to our cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful, Michelle. I am hoping that I can find more of these little beauties, and try a bar recipe. And, I couldn't agree more, they do really brighten up the dreary winter days!

      Delete