Friday, January 18, 2013

Potato and Onion Bake

Guess what I'm doing tonight?  Not cooking, for one thing, so it's fortunate that I had this recipe tucked away from last Sunday's lunch.  No, I am having appetizer's and drinks with my best friend before going to see Les Miserables!  Since I switched jobs a month and a half ago, we went from seeing it each other every workday, and sometimes on the weekends, to maybe once every two weeks.  I am in desperate need of some girl time, while downing a cocktail or two, followed by an absolutely beautiful story played out on screen.  This wench is tickled pink!

Well, I am just now getting home from the movie.  Let me say this:  The film is nothing short of brilliant!  Truly one of the best I have ever seen.  So tragic and haunting, it touches your soul.  The music moved me to tears more than once.  If you get a chance, go see it.  And, if you can make the commitment to read a nearly 1700 page book, please do so.  The movie was amazing but it still pales in comparison to the writing of Victor Hugo.

But, back to tonight's dish.  This is one of my simplest, most basic potato recipes, and it is, oh so, good!  We are only talking about 6 ingredients - you don't need any more when these work so well together.  It goes with any main dish meat, but was a perfect side for those broccoli stuffed pork chops.

Before we had kids, I would make this in a little foil packet for my husband and I.  I happen to like that way better because the bottom potatoes get golden brown and crispy!  Oooh, la, la!  But, with the 4 of us, it's just more practical to make it in a 9 x 13 pan.  Don't get me wrong, though, it still tastes wonderful this way!

Here's your Cast of Characters.


8 Medium potatoes, scrubbed clean
1 Medium onion, diced
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
Lawry's
Pepper
Chicken bouillon granules

Preheat oven to 400.  Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil for easy cleanup.

Cut potatoes into 1/2" thick slices.


Make a single layer of potatoes.  Sprinkle with a littel Lawry's, pepper, and a couple of pinches of bouillon granules, followed by 1/3 of the diced onions.  Dot with 1 tablespoon of butter cut into little pieces.


Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with dots of butter.


Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.


Uncover, and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment