Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Salted Caramel Coffee Creamer

I think that winter has officially set in here.  It has been COLD, and we've gotten a bit of snow.  Because of that, I have now taken to drinking coffee on a regular basis.  That may not seem like a big deal, but I have never been much of a coffee drinker.  I guess, if I'm going to be truthful, I'm still not a full-fledged, card-holding java junkie.  Honestly, I need a lot of sweetener and creamer in it for me to get it down.  I would much prefer tea, but sometimes it's just easier and quicker to grab a mug of coffee that's already made.

At work, we have a caramel macchiato creamer that's okay, but it just doesn't have enough caramel flavor unless I use 3 of them.  If I did that, there would only be enough for about 8 cups.  No, there has to be a better way to enjoy my coffee.

Then, it came to me last week:  Why don't I just make my own caramel creamer?  Really, how difficult could it be?  The answer is, not difficult at all.  And, it has tons of yummy, salted caramel flavor!

Here's your Cast of Characters.  (There are not many pictures because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.  Sorry!)

3 Tbsps. Unsalted butter
1/4 Cup Brown sugar
1/2 Tsp. Sea salt flakes (or kosher salt can be substituted)
1 Cup Fat-free half and half
1/2 Tsp. Vanilla

In a small saucepan, melt butter on medium heat.  Add brown sugar; continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes.  Add sea salt flakes; cook another 30 seconds, stirring continually.  Remove from heat.  Whisk in half and half and vanilla. 


Store in a shaker container, in the fridge, for up to one week.  Shake well before pouring into coffee.


Be advised, this is so delicious, you might be tempted to forego the coffee and drink it straight.  I say, knock yourself out!  Who am I to judge?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment