Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Finger Sandwiches

I hope everyone had a Happy and Healthy New Year!  Here at my house, we had the laziest day, yesterday.  No housecleaning.  No laundry.  About the only thing I did do was make lunch, and start the dishwasher afterwards.  It was positively delightful.  There are not that many days where both my husband and I choose to have a rest day.  At least one of us always feels the need to be doing something on our, never-decreasing, to-do list.  But, by some unspoken agreement, we just sat back and enjoyed our day off, and didn't feel the least bit guilty about it.

One of the things on the lunch menu was a batch of hot wings, but with a twist - they were sriracha lime wings.  My husband came across the recipe in a magazine, and suggested trying them.  I wish that I had taken pictures throughout the process because I would love to share it.  I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out, though.  I was fairly confident they were going to be good, but it was still the first time making it, so the possibility of a flop was there.  They were awesome, however, and I know I will be making them again.  Which means that you'll see the recipe turn up on here, sooner or later.

As for tonight's recipe, this is the last appetizer that I took to my friend, Michelle's party.  These open-faced sandwiches would be perfect for a tea party or, perhaps, a bridal or baby shower.  Not to say that men wouldn't like them, but women typically enjoy and appreciate them more.  A lot of these sandwiches include cucumbers, which I have no problem with, but Michelle isn't a fan.  Since it was her birthday party, I wanted something I knew she would love.  I can't wait to share them with you, because they were just as pleasing to the eye, as to the palette.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


Loaf of rye or pumpernickel bread
4 Oz. neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese), softened
2 (6 Oz.) containers plain Greek yogurt
3 Green onions
8 - 10 Sun-dried tomato halves
1 Teaspoon minced garlic
2 Teaspoons Lawry's seasoning salt
1 Teaspoon McCormick Tuscan seasoning blend
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Sprouts (I used alfalfa and onion sprouts)
1/2 Pound deli turkey (I used sun-dried tomato turkey but black pepper turkey would be good, too)
1 Jar of pimentos
Chives, chopped

First to make the spread.  In a medium mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and Greek yogurt.  Dice the green onions and sun-dried tomatoes into fairly small pieces.



Add those to the bowl, along with the seasonings and minced garlic.  Stir well to thoroughly combine.


Take a slice of bread and spread a generous helping on it.  Next, take a good amount of sprouts and press lightly into the mixture.  You want them down in enough to stick but not too far where they are completely coated.  You want to see the layers of the sandwich.


Cut the bread into triangles.  Take a slice of turkey and tear into pieces slightly smaller than the triangle.  You can cut them, but I like the appearance of the rough edges.  Place on top of the sprouts.


Place a piece of pimento on top of each sandwich and sprinkle with chopped chives.


Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving, but you can make them ahead of time.  They'll keep for 24 hours.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment