Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Simple and Fresh Guacamole

Okay, the calendar may say Spring has arrived, and other parts of the country and world may be experiencing that wonderful season of renewal, but we here in North Dakota are not so lucky.  We still have a ton of snow, and the high temp today was 30 degrees.  Yes, you read that right - 30 DEGREES!  So, I am having a serious case of Spring Fever.  I can't wait for that beautiful green grass, the multi-colored flowers and getting my garden ready to plant.  Of course, once that garden is planted, then I am wishing for summer, where I can start harvesting the fruits of my labor.  That's also the time that my local grocery store starts getting some really great fruit and vegetables from the rest of the country.  Which leads me to one of my favorite summer foods:  guacamole!  (That was a great segue, wasn't it?)

Over the weekend, I had such a craving for guacamole that I couldn't wait for summer.  I hit the grocery store and grabbed the few, simple ingredients needed to make it.  The avocadoes weren't as vibrant green, as when they are in there prime, so the guac didn't have that pretty color, but they still tasted wonderful! 

Here's your Cast of Characters.


3 Large, ripe avocadoes
2 Roma tomatoes
2 - 3 Large garlic cloves
1 Jalapeno (seeded and deveined for less heat, optional)
1 Tsp. kosher salt
1 Tsp. garlic powder
1/4 Tsp. black pepper
1/3 Tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 Cup lime juice

In a food processor, pulse garlic and jalapeno until roughly chopped.  (Because I like some heat, I left 1/2 of the seeds and veins in.)



Cut the center out of the tomatoes, and wedge.  Throw into the processor and pulse a few times.


 
Add the remaining ingredients, and pulse until desired consistency.  I like it chunky, but I know a lot of people who want it completely smooth.
 


 
 
Again, because the avocadoes weren't "in season" yet, they weren't a bright green, so the guacamole has a dull color.  Let me reassure you, though, it tasted wonderful.  Nice amount of heat, just enough salt and lime juice, and the perfect blend of garlic and avocadoes.
 
 
 
This isn't a huge amount, just enough for 2 - 3 people snacking.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment