Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Honey Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

I'm sorry that I have been MIA for the last couple of posts.  I was sick and not feeling well enough to write for a few days.  The good news is, during that time, something wonderful has happened here!  Come closer and I'll tell you what it is.  Closer.  Spring has finally arrived!  Sorry for the secrecy and hushed tones, but Springtime is a shy and elusive creature and I didn't want to scare her away.  She had teased us a few days here and there, making us think that Winter was done, only to run and hide when said Winter bullied it's way back in.  But, there's no denying the warmer temps of the past few days, which has successfully melted most of the snow.

It's amazing the difference this moderate weather has on my mood.  Springtime makes me happy.  I'll put up with the sloppy, muddy roads and driveways for the renewal it brings.  Green grass growing, flowers poking their heads from the earth, leaves sprouting on trees and birds singing their joyous tunes.  Everyone thankful for this wondrous time of year.

And, let's not forget another of my favorite things that Sprintime brings - grilling!  At the first hint of warmer weather, I dust off my barbecue grill and get ready for the next few months of cooking anything and everything on it.  Brace yourself, there will probably be a lot of recipes revolving around the grill popping up on the blog. 

The timing of today's recipe was perfect with the weather.  I have been seeing honey chipotle barbecue sauce on a lot of menus lately, and wanted to throw my hat in the ring.  I have a recipe for a Jack Daniels barbecue sauce, which is my husband's favorite and my go-to sauce, but I am really digging the whole "sweet meets spicy" concept.  With the sun shining brightly, I whipped up a large batch of sauce and prepared the grill.  My husband wanted burgers, so I made those, happily slapping some of the honey chipotle goodness on top.  They.  Were.  Awesome!  Partly because we were in withdrawal for anything on the grill, but the sauce did play a huge role, as well.

Now, I made my sauce at a medium spice level, but it can easily be adjusted to your individual preferences by adding or subtracting some chipotle peppers and adobo sauce.  Although, you can't leave the chipotle peppers out altogether.  I created this recipe around them paired with honey.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


2 - 15 Oz. cans tomato sauce
1 - 12 Oz. can tomato paste
1 Cup chicken broth
1/3 Cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 Cups honey
1/4 Cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 Cup good whiskey (I used Pendleton)
1/2 Cup molasses
1/2 Cup brown sugar
2 Tbsps. liquid smoke
2 Chipotle peppers, diced
2 Tsps. adobo sauce
1 Tbsp. dried onions
1 Tbsp. Lawry's seasoning salt
1 Tsp. black pepper
2 Tsps. onion powder
2 Tsps. garlic powder
2 Tsps. cumin
1 Tsp. Hungarian paprika
1 Tsp. Chili powder

Add all ingredients in a large pot. 


Whisk together, until thoroughly combined.  Bring to a boil.


Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.  Simmer for 30 minutes - 1 hour.

 
Now it's gone from that bright red to a beautiful dark rust.  Perfect!


It makes a large batch, about 2 quarts, but it will last in the fridge for 2-3 weeks, as long as it's in an airtight container.

Add to burgers, ribs, chicken, pork chops - anything your little heart desires!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment