Thursday, April 11, 2013

Curried Chicken Salad

Just in case you weren't aware of this, it's April 11th.  Why am I mentioning that?  Well, because this is what I woke up to today:


I was out of town for a 2 day seminar, but still in North Dakota, and walked out of my hotel to this!  Mother Nature is a cruel woman with a sick sense of humor.  Did I mention that Mother Nature and I are not friends?  I do NOT love her.  (Okay, that was an inside joke.  When one of my nieces was about 3, she went through the "I hate this and I hate that" stage.  Finally, her parents told her she couldn't say the word "hate" anymore.  So, clever thing that she is, she started saying, "I do NOT love this!"

So, I am still resorting to preparing foods that make me think of Spring, in one way or another.  I'm not sure what it is about the Curried Chicken Salad that does that, but I never make it during the winter.  Maybe it's the yellow of the curry that makes me think of that big, ole beautiful sun.  Who knows, but suddenly today, I absolutely had to have this sandwich!

Here's your Cast of Characters for the dressing.


2 Cups mayo
1/4 Cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. curry powder
1 Tsp, each, Lawry's seasoning blend, turmeric and McCormick Perfect Pinch Asian blend (optional)
1/2 Tsp. black pepper
1/4 Tsp. cayenne pepper

Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir well to combine.


Now, your Cast of Characters for the salad.


5 1/2 Cups shredded chicken breast (about 3 large, boneless, skinless breasts)
2 Stalks of celery, diced
1/2 Tart apple, diced (I used a Pink Lady)
1 Cup pecan pieces (or for a slightly different flavor, try chopped cashews)
1/3 Cup dried cranberries
Large croissants

In a large mixing bowl, add chicken, celery, apple, pecans and cranberries.  This picture shows you how small you need to chop the celery and apple.


Mix in dressing, making sure to stir well and get all chicken pieces covered.


Taste, and adjust seasonings, as needed.  For a little more heat, add another pinch of cayenne.


Serve on warm croissants.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment