Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Honey & Orange Roasted Carrots

Now is that part of the summer when I start reaping the benefits of my garden.  All the bug bites, back aches and sweat is worth it when I'm able to wander out to the back yard and come back with a bag filled with lettuce, green beans, peas and carrots.  Ah, the beautiful bounty of the earth!  It makes me wax poetic.  Well, that is if I had a poetic bone in my body.

Anyway, one of the things that I have a bumper crop of is carrots.  My son loves to pull a couple out, brush off the dirt and eat them fresh from the garden, literally.  Now, that my gross out some of you, but one of my brothers used to eat the dirt from our sandbox and he's a big, strapping man, so I figure a little dirt won't hurt Tanner.

On Sunday, we went out with the idea that we would  pick just a few for lunch, but there were so many perfect ones, we just couldn't stop.  We ended up with about 20 beauties and I knew I needed something special for them. 

Here's your Cast of Characters.


15 - 20 Medium-sized carrots, whole
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Orange marmalade
1 Tsp. sea salt
1/2 Tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 Tsp. curry powder
1/8 Tsp. cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a large cookie sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking oil.  Clean carrots, cutting off both ends but leaving whole.  Place in a single layer on cookie sheet.


In a small mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients.  Microwave for 30 seconds until warm.  Mix well.


Drizzle over carrots and roll them around to get completely coated.


Roast on top rack of oven for 45 to 55 minutes, stirring halfway through to redistribute glaze.  Once glaze has thickened up and reduced almost completely, and carrots are still, ever-so-slightly firm, they are done.


Plate up, and serve immediately.


The sweetness of the honey and marmalade are cut perfectly by the curry and cayenne pepper.

Enjoy!

**Note:  I will not be posting on Thursday as we will be visiting family in Missouri and getting ready for my nephew's wedding.  See you all next Tuesday!**

No comments:

Post a Comment