Thursday, July 11, 2013

Brine for Pulled Pork

Tonight's recipe is short and sweet.  Well, not sweet, but short, nonetheless.  I have family coming for a super quick visit, so I've been cleaning all night.  Not that my house was filthy, but I usually do the big cleaning on the weekend.  I just crammed 2 days worth of cleaning into 4 hours.  Holy cow, am I tired!

So, back to the family.  One of my brother's, my sister-in-law, a nephew and his fiancé are coming to pick Bailey up and take her back to Missouri for a 2 1/2 week visit before we go down for my nephew's wedding.  They will get here sometime tomorrow morning and leave Saturday morning to make the 15 hour trip back (I don't envy them that trip!).  I only have them for 2 meals, so I am making the most of those.  For lunch, I am preparing 2 of my brother's favorite foods:  Grandma Roberts' Chicken Pot Pie and her Apple Fruit Rolls.  We grew up eating them, and it's a special treat for him now.  For dinner, I let my nephew and his bride-to-be choose.  I gave them some options and they chose barbecue, so I am going with Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Spicy Southwest Slaw and a side of Caramelized Cauliflower.  Have I mentioned how much I love to cook for my family, and extended family?!

So, in between cleaning, I cooked the chicken for the pot pie, and set the pork roast to brining.  Yay!

Here's your Cast of Characters.


1 1/2 Cups apple cider vinegar
14 Cups of water (just 2 cups shy of a gallon)
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup Kosher salt
1 Sprig, each, fresh rosemary and thyme, left whole
1/2 Tbsp., each, Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb blend, McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb blend, and whole peppercorns

Coarsely crush peppercorns.


In a large bowl with a lid, mix all ingredients until brown sugar is dissolved.


Submerge a 4 - 6 pound pork roast, preferably a butt roast, completely in the brine. 



Cover and let brine for 24 - 48 hours, before preparing in your favorite pulled pork recipe. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment