Thursday, July 18, 2013

Garden Fresh Pasta Primavera

Sorry, folks, I had a bug on Monday and Tuesday that had me crashed on the couch for the better part of those two days.  It didn't even hit me until yesterday that I had missed the post.  The good news is that I am feeling much better today.  Good enough to go raid my garden for some homegrown produce.

My  plan was to find enough baby potatoes to go with our steaks.  Let me just say, that was an epic fail.  I found one lone potato big enough to eat, which I did throw on the grill and let me husband have.  However, my row of sugar snap peas and green beans had a little surprise for me.  They were loaded with fat peas and beans.  Beautiful!

Time for Plan B.  Tanner and I snagged everything that was ready, while I started planning pasta primavera in my head.  Oh, how I love pasta primavera!  Mostly because whatever fresh veggies you have lying around will do just fine.  I only wish that I had some yellow summer squash ready.  It would have been perfect in here.  As it is, my light, summery pasta dish hit the spot.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


1/2 Lb. shell pasta
2 Tbsp. butter, divided
2 Medium onions, preferably green onions with the stems, diced
2 Tsp. minced garlic
2 Sprigs, each, fresh thyme and rosemary
1 Cup of chicken broth
1 1/2 Tsp. Lawry's seasoning salt
1 Tsp., each, freshly ground pepper and McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb
2 Cups of fresh veggies, I used sugar snap peas and green beans

Cook pasta, for the minimum time recommended, in a heavily salted pot.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt one tablespoon of butter.  Saute diced onions, garlic, thyme and rosemary (only use the leaves and disregard the stems) for 2 minutes. 


Add broth and bring to a boil for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Turn to medium heat and add veggies and seasonings.


Give a quick stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Pasta should now be done.  Scoop out with a spoon and throw in the skillet with the vegetables.  It's okay if a little of the pasta water gets in there.  It will help thicken the remaining sauce.


Stir, cover and cook for an additional 3 minutes.  Add last tablespoon of butter, and mix in until melted.


Serve immediately.  Garnish with a little Parmesan cheese, if desired.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment