Thursday, July 25, 2013

Grandma Roberts' Apple Fruit Rolls

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I was talking about my family coming for a quick visit?  I only had a couple of meals to cook for them, so I was trying to cram all their favorites in?  Any of this ringing a bell?  Okay, good!  The reason I'm refreshing your memory is because tonight's recipe is one of those favorites I mentioned:  my grandma's apple fruit rolls.  I think for my brother and me, that dessert is the epitome of comfort food.  The aroma of apples and cinnamon while it's baking takes me right back to my grandma's kitchen.  When it is dished up and the first bite is consumed, I am transported to some of the best times of my youth.  I'm pretty sure that's how my brother feels, too, although he'll never put in those exact words.  It's for those reasons that I make it whenever he comes to visit.

Here's the thing, though, I was so busy trying to get everything made that I a.) wasn't thinking ahead that I might want to use it for the blog, and b.) didn't take any pictures, not even finished pictures.  Sorry, folks.  Normally I wouldn't post without, at least, a finished photo but this recipe is too good not to share.  You'll just have to use those wonderful imaginations this time.

Here's your Cast of Characters:

4 Medium-sized tart apples - peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 Cup sugar
2 Tsps. cinnamon

Biscuit Recipe:
2 Cups flour
2 Tsps. baking powder
4 Tbsp. shortening
1 Tsp. salt
1 Tsp. cinnamon
1 Cup milk

Syrup:
3 Cups sugar
3 Cups water
2 Tbsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium mixing bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, then stir in sugar and cinnamon.  Set aside.

For the biscuits, mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined.  On a floured surface, roll out the biscuit dough in a large rectangle until thin.  Spread chopped apples evenly across it.  Take the long side, and roll tightly into a thick rope, pinching the seam together.  With a sharp knife, cut into 2 inch rolls.  Place the rolls cut side down in a 9 x 13 cake pan.

Next, in a medium saucepan bring the syrup ingredients to a boil, and continue boiling until the sugar dissolves.  Pour boiling syrup over the rolls.

Bake until rolls are a dark golden brown and done in the center, about 30-40 minutes.

Serve warm or cold.  Once the rolls have cooled a little, the syrup will thicken up to a nice sauce.  When you dish the fruit rolls up, spoon some of the sauce over each roll.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment