Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Chicken and Fresh Veggie Skillet

Last night, I planned to make chicken for dinner.  I even told one of my coworkers that I intended to grill it with a sauce made from teriyaki, honey and orange marmalade.  I had it all worked out in my head.  So, why then, does it say Chicken and Fresh Veggie Skillet above?  Well, funny you should ask.

Have I ever mentioned that my new office is right across the street from a grocery store?  It's a little too handy, sometimes - I've been known to hit it 3 times in one day.  I am not kidding.  Anyway, I needed to go in to grab a bag of Jolly Ranchers before I headed home.  Just one thing.  A bag of hard candy that Bailey and I need for our morning run, to keep our mouths from getting dry.  But, once I got both feet in the store, my illness kicked in.  You know the one - it makes a person feel the need to walk down every aisle of the store even though you only need ONE THING.  So, as I walked, I saw a bag of boneless, skinless chicken breast strips on sale.  Hey, I could probably use those sometime.  Then I wandered to the produce department.  I'm pretty sure, at that point, that I was talking to myself.  I might even have scared a few people.  I'm not really certain, but I do know that I saw a bag of Yukon Gold new potatoes and said to myself, "The chicken strips and potatoes would be great cooked in a skillet together.  When I found the sugar snap peas and baby bella mushrooms, I could be heard saying, "These will go nicely, too."  Then, came the fresh rosemary and thyme, upon which I cried, "Now it will be perfect!  The perfect chicken and veggie skillet!"  That's when I noticed people fleeing, came to my senses and piped down.  After paying, I quietly drove home and made this fabulous skillet supper.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


1 1/2 - 2 Lb. bag of small, new potatoes, halved.
3 Tbsp. butter, divided
1/2 Bag boneless, skinless chicken breast strips, or 3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 Bag fresh sugar snap peas, or 2 cups
1 Box sliced baby bella mushrooms
2 Large green onions, chopped
2 Tsps. minced garlic
1 Sprig fresh rosemary, pulled apart
1 Sprig fresh thyme, pulled apart
1 Cup chicken broth
1/4 Cup heavy cream
1 1/2 Tsps. Lawry's season salt
1 Tsp. McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb seasoning
1/2 Tsp. freshly ground pepper

Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil.  Parboil for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, place chicken and 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet.  Sprinkle with seasonings, but not the measured amounts.


Cover and cook on medium-high for 5 minutes.  Add mushrooms, garlic, peas, green onions, parboiled potatoes, rosemary and thyme. 


Saute for another 5 minutes, covered.


Add chicken broth and measured seasonings.  Cover and cook on medium-high for 15-20 minutes, or until everything is cooked through and potatoes are fork-tender.  Stir occasionally.


Add cream and remaining tablespoon of butter.  Stir and cook until just heated through and butter has melted.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment