Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Whiskey Glaze

I have been sitting here staring at a blank computer screen for an hour and can't seem to come up with a good way to work into this recipe.  I'm tired - it's only Tuesday, but it's been a long week already, and I keep trying to wrap my brain around the devastation that happened yesterday in Moore, Oklahoma.  So, instead of continuing to struggle, I am just going to tell you, quickly, how this recipe came into being.  I recently saw a commercial for TGI Friday's Jack Daniel's glazed entrees, which my husband and I love.  It made me hungry for something similar.  I looked online and found many copycat recipes, but decided that I didn't want to go the "copycat" route.  Yes, it gave me inspiration, but I wanted my own distinct recipe. 

Here's your Cast of Characters.


1/2 Cup good whiskey (I like Pendleton, but you can use your favorite)
1/2 Cup apricot pineapple preserves
1/8 Cup, each, Worcestershire and soy sauces
1/3 Cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 Tsp., each, Lawry's season salt, onion powder, garlic powder and beef bouillon granules
1/2 Tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tsp. Frank's RedHot Sauce

In a medium saucepan, add all ingredients and whisk together.


Turn to high heat and bring to a boil.  Once a full, rolling boil has been achieved, turn to medium-low and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes, or until it has reduced and is slightly thickened.  Stir frequently so it doesn't burn.  Don't cook until it has really thickened because it will end up like glue when it cools!


Use on any grilled meat:  chicken, pork chops, brisket or even burgers, but my favorite is ribs.


Here it is on a nice London Broil.  A little sweet, a little spicy and with a zesty little kick from the whiskey!


The leftovers will keep in a sealed container, in the fridge, for 2 - 3 weeks.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment