Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Peanut Butter Honey Breakfast Bars

For a while now I have been hunting for a guiltless breakfast bar recipe.  I wanted something with peanut butter, honey and old-fashioned oats but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.  Finally, I just decided to come up with my own.  This was my first attempt, so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, especially since I was using the microwave.  Thankfully, I kept it simple and was pleased with the finished product.

I wasn't the only one who liked it - my kids thought it was great.  They really couldn't believe that it wasn't a dessert, and was okay to eat for breakfast.  I kept reassuring them that it was actually very healthy, as well as filling, and I meant for it to be a quick breakfast food.  They snatched them up!

Here's your Cast of Characters.


2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 Cup natural peanut butter
1/2 Cup honey
2 Cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 Cup flax seed
1/4 Cup wheat germ
1/2 Cup salted, roasted peanuts
1 Tsp., each, vanilla and cinnamon

In a large mixing bowl, add butter, peanut butter and honey.  Microwave on high for 1 minute.  Stir well.  It should be very smooth and creamy, at this point.


Microwave for another minute.  It should be just starting to bubble now.


Mix again.  Microwave for another 30 seconds.  Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing well.


Microwave one final time, for 1 minute.  Stir the crumbly mixture again, before patting into a greased pan.



For thicker bars, you can use an 8 x 8 square pan, or a cake pan for thinner bars. 

Let cool completely before cutting, and eating, about 30 minutes.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment