Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pineapple Teriyaki Ham

There is no doubt about it, I am a carnivore.  That's not to say that I don't love vegetables, because I do, but I am definitely a meat-eater.  Having said that, there are a few types that are not my favorite - I'll eat them, but they're not my first choice.  One of those is ham.  It's okay, but not great.  I don't hate it, but would not miss it too much if it weren't around.  I really don't understand it - I adore bacon, so one would think that bacon's much larger cousin, ham, would have me weak in the knees.  Sadly, no. 

My husband, however, loves ham so I make it fairly often.  Most of the time I simply put it in the oven or make scalloped potatoes and ham.  But, when he asked for it this past weekend, I wanted something different.  Something to jazz it up a little.  Something out of the ordinary. 

I can't take all the credit for coming up with this idea.  A few days ago, I saw a recipe for pineapple teriyaki burgers, which really piqued my interest.  They looked amazing!  I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but it got me thinking.  Ham.....pineapple on ham is acceptable.....pineapple teriyaki is a great combination.....pineapple teriyaki ham just might work!

My mother-in-law is, kind of, the resident expert on ham, so I ran the idea past her.  She thought it sounded good, and that was enough for me.  I have to say, it made ham more enjoyable for me.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


2 - 3 Lbs. bone-in ham
20 Oz. can crushed pineapple with juice
1 1/2 Cups good teriyaki sauce (Kikoman does NOT qualify!)
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Tsp. cayenne pepper

Line a roasting pan with foil.  Warm grill (or oven) to 450 degrees.

In a small mixing bowl, combine pineapple, teriyaki, brown sugar and cayenne pepper; mix well.


Place ham in the roaster and spoon sauce over it, making sure that some of the pineapple sticks to the ham.


Loosely cover with foil.  If grilling, turn off the burner under the ham and maintain a consistent 450 degree indirect heat.  Cook for 1 1/2 hours, basting frequently, and turning the ham so each side can soak up the goodness.  In the last 15 minutes, remove foil.


Let ham rest for about 10 minutes before cutting.  Meanwhile put sauce in a small pan, and bring to a boil, stirring until it reduces and thickens a little.


Pass sauce around to be served over ham slices.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment