Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Texas Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Do you want to know one of my favorite foods?  Pulled pork sandwiches.  But, I don't want it slathered in a thick pool of barbecue sauce, where that's all you can taste.  No, I want it lightly sauced, full of flavor, and ready for a hearty helping of southwest slaw on top.  Mmmmmm, now that's my idea of heaven! 

I am always on the lookout for that elusive, perfect pulled pork sandwich, and in this recipe, I found it.  I had a really nice pork roast that was chosen for this very purpose, and all I needed was the right vehicle.  After looking through 3 or 4 other recipes, I stumbled upon this one on Allrecipes.com.  I read through about 10 reviews, and all of them raved about it's goodness.  That was all I needed.  I made a couple of very small tweaks, but otherwise, left it as is.  It was great right away, but even better a couple of days later.

One little problem, though.  I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, so I didn't take any prep pictures, only a finished product.  That's a testament of how good this recipe is - I couldn't wait until I made it again, to share it with you.  Besides, it's really simple, so you don't need a lot of pictures.

Here's your Cast of Characters.

1 Tsp. olive oil
4 Lb. pork shoulder or butt roast
1 Cup barbecue sauce
1/2 Cup, each, chicken broth and apple cider vinegar
1/4 Cup light brown sugar
1 Tbsp. prepared yellow mustard (This is one of my tweaks - I used Jack Daniels Spicy Southwest Mustard instead.)
1 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Extra large onion, chopped (I used a red onion)
2 Large cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 Tsp. dried thyme
(It didn't call for any salt or pepper, but I found that it needed a little bit of each.  I think I put a teaspoon of Lawry's season salt and black pepper in.  If that's not enough, season to taste.)

Use the oil to coat the bottom and sides of a roasting pan.  Place pork roast in pan.  Mix all of the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and pour over roast.  Cover and cook in a 350 degree oven for 3 hours, or until meat easily pulls apart.  Use 2 forks to shred the meat, disgarding any fat.  Add back into the pan of sauce, stirring well.  Cook for another 30 minutes.  Serve on good rolls or buns, preferably with a slightly spicy southwest slaw.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment