Saturday, March 2, 2013

Creamy Pesto Spread

Okay, I have decided that my Monday, Wednesday, and Friday posting schedule isn't working.  More specifically, the Friday post isn't working.  It's Friday Family Movie Night in our house, and I have been trying to do both:  spend time with my family, eating a simple meal on a blanket picnic in front of the tv, while still trying to find time to do the post.  Unfortunately, either one or the other ends up suffering.  If I make time for the post, I'm doing it at the cost of family time, which I hate.  My other option has been to skip the post, which I'm not fond of either.  So, last night, instead of feeling guilty because I didn't blog, I made a decision.  Why not switch Friday's post to Saturday night?  I initially stopped posting on weekends for the very same reason - I wanted more time to spend with my family.  However, I think this is a suitable alternative.  I'm still getting 2 nights of the weekend off, but Saturday's usually give me a little more cooking time and more time to write.  Welcome to the new schedule!

Now, for the recipe.  My husband and I were shopping today, and came across some lovely, fresh-baked whole wheat sub rolls.  He snagged them from the bakery cart, and asked if I thought they'd make good paninis.  I told him they would perfect, and I immediately started planning the panini build.  I went through the meat department but nothing jumped out at me.  As I meandered through the deli section, I spotted the sun-dried tomato turkey breast.  It is one of my favorites, and I knew I could make a good sandwich from that.  I found a jar of roasted red peppers and caramelized onions, and suddenly the panini came together.  I would make a creamy pesto spread, followed by the jar of onions and red peppers, caramelized red onions and shallots, turkey breast and topped with provolone.  It was divine!

Here's your Cast of Characters.


1/3 Cup, each, light sour cream and mayo
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. dried basil
1 Tsp., each, Lawry's season salt, McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb blend, and McCormick Perfect Pinch Tuscan blend
1/2 Tsp. black pepper
1 Tsp. sun-dried tomato paste (or finely diced sun-dried tomatoes)

In a small bowl, combine all indredients.


Use a whisk to blend well.


Refrigerate until ready to use.  Spread on your favorite panini or sandwich.  You can even use it for a new twist on chicken or tuna salad.


Can you see it oozing from both the top and bottom of the panini?  So yummy!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment