Friday, February 1, 2013

Red Onion and Triple Pepper Relish

Sitting here watching the end of Cars 2, as Friday Family Movie Night winds down, I am wondering where my Friday went.  It seems like only moments ago that it was 8 am and the day was just beginning.  Before I could blink, I looked up and it was 2:30.  After that, 5 pm rolled right by.  We were short-handed at work today, and it was a zoo this afternoon.  I hardly had time to string 2 thoughts together, so it was a good thing my husband was already planning to make his awesome burgers tonight.  I only had to figure out something to go with it.

I knew I wouldn't have much time once I got home, so whatever I decided would have to be quick.  That's when I settled on a relish.  I've kind of been on a red onion kick lately, so the idea of a relish centered around that sounded right up my alley.  Something with peppers and a bit of tang from vinegar.  This is what I came up with, and it hit the spot.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


1 Medium red onion
1 Medium shallot
2 Cloves garlic
1/3 Each yellow, red and orange sweet bell pepper
2 Large basil leaves
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp., each, balsamic and red wine vinegars
1 Tbsp. kosher salt*
1 Tsp. freshly ground pepper*
*(These aren't pictured because I was in such a hurry to get the relish started that I forgot to grab them for the picture.)

In a food processor, add onion, shallot, garlic and peppers.


Pulse a few times until all the veggies have a good rough chop.



In a medium saucepan, add the veggies, salt, pepper and vinegars.  Turn to medium-high heat and stir well.


Once mixture begins to boil, cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.


Don't cook too long.  You want the relish to still have a little crisp to it.  Basically, you want the vinegars to cook down and mellow, while pulling the flavors of the vegetables together.


Serve on burgers, hot dogs or any sandwich that needs a little something extra - a nice little bite of onion and vinegar.


I loved it with my burger.  Chris used roasted red pepper cheese and caramelized onions and my relish pushed it over the top.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment