Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Oatmeal Fudge Bars

For those of you who have followed me for any length of time, you know that I really don't enjoy baking.  It has too many rules for me.  I can't just wing it and come up with a recipe on the fly.  You actually need to follow a recipe and I find that too confining.

That being said, there are times that some baking needs to be done.  My husband is getting ready for a fishing trip to Canada, and I'm trying to set him up with some treats to take along.  A couple of weeks ago, I came across this recipe and decided to try it out.  It was definitely a hit among my family, but especially with Chris. 

Here's the thing, I wasn't planning on posting this recipe at first, so I didn't start out taking pictures.  About halfway through, it occurred to me that I might, actually, want to use this one, and started clicking away, at that point.

Here's your Cast of Characters.

1 Cup butter, plus 2 Tsp., softened and divided
2 Cups light brown sugar
2 eggs
4 Tsps. vanilla, divided
2 Cups flour
1 Tsp. baking soda
1 Tsp. salt
3 Cups quick-cooking oatmeal
12 Oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 13 x 15 inch jelly roll pan generously with non-stick cooking spray.

Cream 1 cup butter, brown sugar, eggs and 2 tsps. vanilla.  Gradually add flour, baking soda, salt and oatmeal.  Once combined, refrigerate for half an hour.

Meanwhile, in a microwavable bowl, add chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, 2 tsps. butter, and 2 tsps. vanilla.  Microwave on medium for 1 1/2 minutes.  Stir well and microwave on high for another minute.  Mix vigorously until chips are melted and smooth.  If you need to microwave a little more, do it in 30 second increments, stirring well after each one.

Remove dough from refrigerator.  Press 2/3 of it in the pan, spreading evenly.  Pour fudge mixture over the oatmeal crust, smoothing it out, but leaving a 1 inch edge of crust.  You want the crust to come up, not the fudge leaking down.


With the remaining oatmeal batter, take small spoonfuls and flatten them into patties, placing randomly over the fudge.


My daughter said it looked like a giraffe!

Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until oatmeal batter starts to brown.


Let cool slightly before cutting.


I had one of these fresh out of the oven, and it was okay, but I wasn't that impressed.  Then, I tried one the next night.  BINGO - we have a winner!  These are really best prepared in advance.  They become utterly divine!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment