Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Linguine with Shrimp and Southwest Pesto

Have you ever wanted to dig a hole and crawl in it?  That's how I feel today.  I'm really not fit company for man, nor beast.  I think it's because I'm overly tired.  My husband is gone all week, fishing in Canada, and I don't sleep well when he's not here.  So, my solution has been to stay up until I, literally, can't keep my eyes open any longer.  That way I don't lay in bed, tossing and turning, however it's starting to take a toll on me.  Sometimes when I'm this tired, I get extremely silly.  Other times, like now, I just get grumpy. 

 Why am I sharing this with you?  Well, when I get like this, I want comfort food, which means pasta.  But, I didn't want anything that was going to take too long, or be really heavy.  Pesto is the perfect answer - it's simple and comes together very quickly.  I was in the mood for cilantro, though, so I decided to make a southwest pesto.  All the fresh ingredients combined for a wonderful, summery pasta dish!

Here's your Cast of Characters.


1 Box of linguine
1 - 12 Oz. bag frozen, medium shrimp, precooked and tails off
2 Bunches of cilantro
2 Small (or 1 large) jalapenos, seeded and deveined (unless you want some heat)
2 Cloves of garlic
Zest and juice of 1 small lime
1 Container of cherry tomatoes
1/2 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
1/2 Tsp. McCormick Perfect Pinch Southwest Sweet and Smoky seasoning
1 Tsp. McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb seasoning
Sprinkle of Lawry's Chile & Garlic seasoning salt (or regular Lawry's)
1/2 Cup reserved pasta water

Thaw shrimp and set aside.  In a food processor, chop jalapenos and garlic, pulsing a few times.


Next, add cilantro and process on high until coarsely chopped.


Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil and cook linguine according to package directions.

Back to the cilantro mixture, add lime zest and juice, salt, garlic & herb seasoning and southwest seasoning.  Pulse 2 or 3 times.


When pasta has about 6 minutes left, heat shrimp up with a tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkling of Lawry's.


In the processor, add tomatoes, olive oil and pasta water that you have just taken from the pot.  Process on high until thoroughly chopped and combined.


Drain pasta; add shrimp and pesto.


Stir well to coat pasta evenly.


Serve immediately.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment