Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Baby Potatoes & Green Beans with Lemon Thyme Sauce

Well, here we go again - 2 weeks have gone by since I lasted posted a recipe.  Things have been very busy, and stressful, around my home.  The kids have had volleyball and football practices, as well as games, almost every day of the week.  Plus, we are dealing with a family health crisis:  Chris' uncle has been battling liver cancer for a year now, and recently has had spots pop up on his spine and in his brain.  A week and a half ago, he was hospitalized with pneumonia that quickly turned into Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS).  Last Monday and Tuesday were scary days for our whole family when it seemed he wasn't going to pull through.  Thanks to the prayers and positive thoughts of a huge circle of family and friends, he is slowly improving.  He's not out of the woods, but things are definitely looking up. 

So, with all of this going on and the fact that I am trying to finish my book, I don't know if I can commit to posting recipes twice a week.  I am going to do my best to get a recipe up once a week, but I don't want to have a set day.  It will be very spontaneous so just keep checking back.

As for tonight's recipe, I was going for something colorful.  Yes, I wanted it to taste good, but I really wanted something that was going to look pretty on the plate.  That's a great reason, isn't it?  Yeah, I thought so, too.

Here's your Cast of Characters.


(2) 28 Oz. bags of baby potatoes, any variety (I love Honey Gold with Purple Passion)
10 - 12 Sprigs of fresh thyme, divided
2 Cups chicken broth, divided
(1) 12 Oz. bag fresh green beans
Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
2 Tsps. minced garlic
6 Tbsps. unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. Lawry's seasoning salt
1/2 Tsp. black pepper

In a large skillet or Dutch oven, add 1 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1 sprig thyme and both bags of potatoes.  Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium high. 


Uncover, stir potatoes around and add green beans to the top.


Cover and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.  With a slotted spoon, remove potatoes and green beans to a large serving bowl. 


Cover to keep warm.  Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to the skillet, pulling thyme leaves off the sprigs.  Turn to high heat, boiling for 5 - 10 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by half and thickened slightly.


Pour over potatoes and green beans, stirring gently.


Serve immediately while piping hot.



Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment